Need help about a course?
|Home / Syllabus / Andhra Pradesh / Kakatiya University / Undergraduate Courses / BSc Botany / Year I|
Theory Paper - I Microbial Diversity, Cryptogams and Gymnosperms Syllabus
|Ask a question|
Print this page
Important Note: This Syllabus is common for BSc Students of Andhra University, Kakatiya University & Osmania University admitted from the year 2008-09
(Total Hours of Teaching: 120 @ 4 h / Week)
1. Origin and evolution of Life - an outline. (2 h)
2. Viruses: Structure, replication and transmission; plant diseases caused by viruses and their control. (8 h)
3. Bacteria: Structure, nutrition, reproduction and economic importance. An outline of Plant diseases of important crop plants caused by bacteria and their control. (8 h)
4. Brief account of Archaebacteria, Chlamydia, Actinomycetes and Mycoplasma. (4 h)
5. Cyanobacteria: Cell structure, thallus organisation and their prospecting (uses) – Biofertilizers. Structure and life history of Oscillatoria, Nostoc and Anabaena. (8 h)
6. Algae: General account, thallus organisation, structure, reproduction, classificationand economic importance. (4 h)
7. Structure, reproduction, life history and systematic position of Oedogonium, Coleochaete, Chara, Ectocarpus and Polysiphonia. (12 h)
8. Fungi: General characters, classification and economic importance. (3 h)
9. Structure, reproduction and life history of Albugo, Saccharomyces, Penicillium, Puccinia, Alternaria,. General account of plant diseases caused by Fungi and their control. (10 h)
10. Lichens: Structure and reproduction; ecological and economic importance. (3 h)
11. Bryophytes: General characters, classification and alternation of generations. (3 h)
12. Structure, reproduction, life history and systematic position of Marchantia, Anthoceros and Polytrichum. Evolution of Sporophyte in Bryophytes. (10 h)
13. Pteridophytes: General characters, classification, alternation of generations and evolution of sporophtyte. (5 h)
14. Structure, reproduction, life history and systematic position of Rhynia, Lycopodium, Equisetum and Marsilea. (12 h)
15. Evolution of stele, heterospory and seed habit in Pteridophytes. (2 h)
16. Gymnosperms: General characters, structure, reproduction and classification. (4 h)
17. Morphology of vegetative and reproductive parts, systemic position, life history of Pinus and Gnetum (8 h)
18. Distribution and economic importance; endangered Gymnosperms. (4 h)
19. Palaeobotany: Introduction, Fossils and fossilization; Geological time scale; Importance of fossils. (6 h)
20. Bennettitales: General account (4 h)
Alexopolous, J. and W. M. Charles. 1988. Introduction to Mycology. Wiley Eastern, New Delhi.
Mckane, L. and K. Judy. 1996. Microbiology – Essentials and Applications. McGraw Hill, New York.
Pandey, B. P. 2001. College Botany, Vol. I: Algae, Fungi, Lichens, Bacteria, Viruses, Plant Pathology, Industrial Microbiology and Bryophyta. S. Chand & Company Ltd, New Delhi.
Pandey, B. P. 2006. College Botany, Vol. II: Pteridophyta, Gymnosperms and Paleobotany. S. Chand & Company Ltd, New Delhi.
Pandey, B. P. 2007. Botany for Degree Students: Diversity of Microbes, Cryptogams, Cell Biology and Genetics. S. Chand & Company Ltd, New Delhi.
Sambamurthy, A. V. S. S. 2006. A Textbook of Plant Pathology. I. K. International Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
Sambamurthy, A. V. S. S. 2006. A Textbook of Algae. I. K. International Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
Sharma, O. P. 1992. Textbook of Thallophyta. McGraw Hill Publihing Co., New Delhi.
Sporne, K. R. 1965. Morphology of Gymnosperms. Hutchinson Co., Ltd., London.
Thakur, A. K. and S. K. Bassi. 2008. A Textbook of Botany: Diversity of Microbes and Cryptogams. S. Chand & Company Ltd, New Delhi.
Vashishta, P. C., A. K. Sinha and Anil Kumar. 2006. Botany - Pteridophyta (Vascular Cryptogams). S. Chand & Company Ltd, New Delhi.
Vashishta, B. R., A. K. Sinha and V. P. Singh. 2008. Botany for Degree Students: Algae. S. Chand & Company Ltd, New Delhi.
Vashishta, B. R., A. K. Sinha and Adarsha Kumar. 2008. Botany for Degree Students: Bryophyta. S. Chand & Company Ltd, New Delhi.
Vashishta, P. C., A. K. Sinha and Anil Kumar. 2006. Botany for Degree Students: Gymnosperms. S. Chand & Company Ltd, New Delhi.
Vashishta, B. R. 1990. Botany for Degree Students: Fungi, S. Chand & Company Ltd, New Delhi.
Watson, E. V. 1974. The structure and life of Bryophytes, B. I. Publications, New Delhi.
Note: The above courses are picked automatically by the website for indicative purpose only. However, students are requested to check with the University for the similarity of the course or for any other information in regard to the course.
Syllabus presented on this page is indicative and for general information only. Visitors are advised to contact the University directly for the official, detailed and accurate Syllabus, Transcripts and other information. List of course names mentioned here is partial and are not comprehensive and the institution would be offering many other courses than those mentioned on this page.
Enter a detailed keyword. Ex: Syllabus of Kakatiya University Ist year BSc Computer Science course