Need help about a course?
|Home / Question Papers / Tamil Nadu / Annamalai University DDE / Postgraduate Courses / MA English / 1st Year / 510 English Literature from Chaucer to 1660|
510 English Literature from Chaucer to 1660 May 2008 Testpapers
|Ask a question|
Print this page
Time: Three hours
Maximum: 100 marks
I. Answer any FIVE questions from Section - A and THREE from Section - B
ALL questions carry equal marks.
1. (a) He said he had a gobbet the sail
That Sainte Peter had when that he went
upon the sea, till Jesus Christ him hent.
(b) Her greatest oater was but by Saint Eeoy,
And she was cleped Madame Eglantine
Full well she sang the service divine
Entuned in her nose full seemely.
2. (a) Eftsoons the nymphs, which now had flowers their fill, Ran all in haste to see that silver brood As they came floating on the crystal flood ;
(b) This no tomorrow hath, nor yesterday ; Running it never runs from us away, But truly his first, last, everlasting day.
3. (a) O none, unless this miracle have might That in black ink my love may still shine bright
(b) Such wilt thou be to me, who must, Like th' other foot, obliquely run ; Thy firmness makes my centre just, And makes me end where I begun.
4. (a) Nature's world is brazen, the poets only deliver a golden.
(b) I had rather believe all the fables in the Legend, and the Talmud, and the Alcoron, than that
this universal frame is without a mind.
5. (a) Hell hath no limits, nor is circumscribed, In one self place, but where we are is here, And where hell is there must we ever be.
(b) Was this the face that launched a thousand ships. And burnt the topless towers of Ilium ?
6. (a) Are not the choicest fables of the poets, That were the fountains and first springs of wisdome Wrapped in perplexed allegorics ?
(b) I should believe my neighbours had seen double Through the black pot, and made these apparitions !
II. Attempt the following in about 200 Words each :
7. (a) Write on the features of metaphysical poetry in 'To His Coy Mistress'.
(b) What are the distinct characteristics of Herbert's poetry ?
8. (a) How is Utopia a land of perfection ?
(b) Bring out the tragic quality of the character of the Duchess of Malfia.
III. Answer any THREE of the following :
9. (a) Consider Chaucer's 'Prologue' as a portrait gallery of his times.
(b) How is 'Prothalamion' a joyous wedding song ?
10. (a) Bring out the emotional quality of Shakespeare's Sonnets.
(b) Analyse the metaphysical features of Donne's poems.
11. (a) How is Sidney's essay 'An Apology for Poetry' an effective answer to Gosson ?
(b) Write on Bacon's prose style in his essays.
12. (a) Discuss 'Dr. Faustus' as a powerful morality play.
(b) How is 'The Alchemist' a satirical comedy ?
13. (a) 'The Changeling' is an intense tragedy of corruption and murder. - Discuss.
(b) Consider 'The Spanish Tragedy' as a typical revenge play.
The following is a partial list of Testpapers of similar / related courses to MA English offered by Annamalai University Directorate of Distance Education
The following is a partial list of Testpapers of courses similar to Annamalai University Directorate of Distance Education MA English - offered by other Universities in Tamil Nadu
The following is a partial list of Testpapers of courses similar to Annamalai University Directorate of Distance Education MA English - offered by other Universities in India
Note: The above courses are picked automatically by the website for indicative purpose only. However, students are requested to check with the University for the similarity of the course or for any other information in regard to the course.
Enter a detailed keyword. Ex: Question Papers of Annamalai University Directorate of Distance Education MCA Ist Semester