Need help about a course?
|Home / Question Papers / Tamil Nadu / Annamalai University DDE / Postgraduate Courses / MA English / 2nd Year / 630 The English Language and Linguistics|
630 The English Language and Linguistics December 2008 Testpapers
|Ask a question|
Print this page
(Including Lateral Entry)
Time: Three hours
Maximum: 100 marks
Question No. 1 is compulsory.
Answer any FOUR questions from question No. 2 to 8.
All questions carry equal marks.
1. Give a broad phonetic transcription of the following passage and mark the stress wherever necessary. Transcribe and mark the stress :
George : I am in luck, Will. My uncle has just sent me a letter from Japan, where he is on business, with some Japanese stamps. He knows I collect them and often sends me foreign stamps, from the places he visits.
William : They look rather nice. Are you going to paste them in your album?
Geroge : Yes here it is. I have got quite a nice collection now.
William : What a lot ! French, Italian, Dutch, German, American, Turkish.You seem to have some from almost every country.
Geroge : Oh! There are a lot I have not got yet. And some rare ones are very expensive, and cost pounds of money.
2. Trace the evolution of standard English.
3. What are cardinal vowels? Explain with a diagram.
4. Give a description of the diphthongs.
5. What are the new varieties of English in countries outside England ?
6. Explain the basic sentence patterns with suitable examples.
7. What are the qualities of a good translator ?
8. Divide the following words into morphemes using a tree diagram and label them :
Write essays on any THREE of the following.
All questions carry equal marks.
9. (a) What are the sound changes that had taken place in the Germanic family of languages and show how English had descended from that family of languages?
(b) Describe the major semantic processes in English.
10. (a) Give a detailed description of the classification of English consonants according to the manner of articulation.
(b) What is intonation? Explain intonation patterns and their functions.
11. (a) How are language and society interlinked?
(b) Write an essay on 'Morphology'.
12. (a) Write an essay on transformational generative grammar.
(b) What is IC analysis? Present an IC analysis of the following sentence using a tree diagram. A great city is, to be sure, the school for studying life.
13. (a) Write an essay on contrastive analysis.
(b) Write an essay on 'stylistics'.
The following is a partial list of Testpapers of similar / related courses to MA English offered by Annamalai University Directorate of Distance Education
The following is a partial list of Testpapers of courses similar to Annamalai University Directorate of Distance Education MA English - offered by other Universities in Tamil Nadu
The following is a partial list of Testpapers of courses similar to Annamalai University Directorate of Distance Education MA English - offered by other Universities in India
Note: The above courses are picked automatically by the website for indicative purpose only. However, students are requested to check with the University for the similarity of the course or for any other information in regard to the course.
Enter a detailed keyword. Ex: Question Papers of Annamalai University Directorate of Distance Education MCA Ist Semester