Need help about a course?
|Home / College & Universities / IGNOU / Courses / Under Graduate Degree|
Bachelor of Science - Optometry and Ophthalmic Techniques (BSc (Hons) Optometry and Ophthalmic Techniques)
|Ask a question|
Print this page
BSc (Hons) Optometry and Ophthalmic Techniques
Faculty / School / Department / Center offering the course
School of Health Sciences
Eligibility Criteria / Entry Requirements
The candidates should have passed class 10+2 examination of CBSE or equivalent with English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology with at least 45% marks in the aggregate.
About the course
The B.Sc. (Hons.) in Optometry and Ophthalmic Techniques programme has been developed by School of Health Sciences in collaboration with the Federation of Ophthalmic Research and Education Centres (FOREC).
The purpose of this programme is to develop a multipurpose ophthalmic manpower at paramedical level. The training will enable a student to become a competent person in providing service as an Optician, Optometrist, Refractionist and Ophthalmic Assistant to the community in urban, semi-urban and rural settings in private, semi-governmental and governmental sectors. The trainee on the completion of the programme, besides functioning primarily as an Optometrist and Refractionist, would also perform various tasks at all levels. The main objectives of the programme are to:
The Programme will commence from July of every year. The whole programme is divided into four years and consists of theory, practical and clinical components.
The admissions will be made once a year. The candidates will be admitted after an advertisement all over the country in reputed newspapers (Hindi, English, and regional languages). The applications should be made on prescribed form so as to reach IGNOU before the due date.
Age of Entry
The candidates should have attained the age of 17 years on first November of the year of admission. There is no maximum age limit.
Duration of the Programme
The minimum duration of the programme is four years. However, the students are given a maximum period of six years to complete the programme from the date of registration, after which the students have to apply for readmission paying the pro rata fee for each incomplete course.
Medium of Instruction
Training (both theory and practical) will be provided in English. The students should write their examination in English only.
The minimum cut-off marks will be 45% in English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology (EPCB), in the 10+2 qualifying Examination. During the selection 90% weightage will be given to the EPCB marks and the remaining 10% will be based on the candidate’s performance during interview/counselling. The interview/counselling will be held in IGNOU headquarters at School of Health Sciences. For interview/counselling, no TA/DA will be given, the students have to make their own arrangements regarding travelling and stay for the interview/counselling. The candidates are advised to carefully select 3 of the Proposed Programme Study Centres (PSCs) from the list provided (Appendix IV) and accordingly fill their preferences in the application form. The Selection Committee will try to allot the candidate to the desired PSC as and when possible. However, in the situation that the candidate’s option for PSC is unavailable, the Selection Committee reserves the right to allot any other centre that is available, if necessary.
Candidates seeking admission to B.Sc. (Hons.) in Optometry and Ophthalmic Techniques are advised not to pay the fees along with the filled-in application form. They will get a separate communication about their admission and for payment of course fee. The fees payable include:
Information about the courses provided here is partial and should not be treated as comprehensive. i.e The institution would be offering other course than those mentioned here. Students are advised to check with the intitution for the latest information in regard to the course.
Enter a detailed keyword. Ex: IGNOU MCA Admission Notification 2012