About the course
Students admitted to the programme are eligible for the award of M.Sc. degree in Biotechnology on successful completion of the course.
The M.Sc., teaching programme is a two-year (4 semesters) course and follows Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) of the University. The CBCS offers both Core and Elective courses in each School. The students have the option to take also the elective courses offered by other Schools in the University. Projects are the integral part of the CBCS and each student works on a research project for one full semester.
The students have the option to work for a summer project in biotech companies, National Laboratories and other Premier institutions in India for about 6 weeks at the end of first year.
The School of Biotechnology, which runs the M.Sc. Biotechnology programme, has excellent facilities for research in the areas of modern biotechnology. Moreover, the School has regular ongoing research and developmental projects in thrust areas.
The School has the following National Facilities
- Centre for Genetic Engineering and Strain Manipulation
- Centre for Plant Molecular Biology
- Cenre of Excellence in Bioinformatics
- High Resolution Graphics
- VPN NODE of DBT
- FIST (DST)- DNA sequencing facility and Central Computer Laboratory
- SAP-UGC – Real Time PCR
- UGC- Centre of Potential in subject of Genomic Sciences – MALDI-ToF facility
Major research programmes of the School of Biotechnology are
- Production of anticancer antibiotics from Streptomyces
- Production of Industrial Enzymes form Streptomyces, Bacillus. E.coli and fungi
- Plant Tissue Culture
- Genetic Engineering of Plants using Agrobacterium tumefaciens
- Transgenic plants for virus, fungal and stress resistance
- Stress response in plants
- Regulation of gene expression in fungi
- Molecular Biology, Immunology and Genome Analysis of Mycobacterium leprae
- Animal Biotechnology
- Cell Biology
- Immunochemistry and biodegradation of toxic chemicals
- Protein crystallography
- Comparative genomics of microorganisms
- Proteomics Industrial collaborative projects
Bachelor of Science (BSc) Chemisty / Botany / Biology / Agriculture / Vet. Science / Zoology / Engineering. / MBBS
Admission / Hostel Fee
Rs.7,200/- for all the four semesters, which includes Tuition fee, Laboratory fee, Library fee etc.
Hostel fee: Approx. Rs.4000/-
Fee details presented here are indicative and are subject to change. Students are advised to check with the authorities concerned for the latest information.
Mode of Admission
Admissions are through the Combined Entrance Examination